External Client User Guidelines
Before requesting space for your event, please be sure to review our External Client User Guidelines, which outline the booking process and policies pertaining to use of Events & Venues space.
Please view the guidelines for the Alumni House, City View Room & State Room, Jack Morton Auditorium & Art Gallery Lobby and Marvin Center & Outdoor Space for additional information in regards to your requested event space.
For information about reserving space at Lisner Auditorium, please visit the Lisner Auditorium website.
- All event requests need to be submitted through the External Client Request for Proposal form on the Events & Venues website.
- Submitting an External Client Request for Proposal does not guarantee event or space approval.
- Reservations for Events & Venues spaces need to be made at least 20 business days in advance.
- External Clients may book Marvin Center and Outdoor Spaces during the non-academic school year, meaning Winter, Spring and Summer breaks.
- Events sponsored by a GW Department or Student Organization may book the Marvin Center venues during the academic school year.
- If the event is sponsored by a GW Department then the Marvin Center venues are eligible to be reserved Monday through Friday 7:00am-6:00pm.
- If your event is sponsored by a GW Student Organization then the Marvin Center Venues are eligible to be reserved any day of the week between 7:00am -12:00am.
- The following venues are available year round: Jack Morton Auditorium, Art Gallery Lobby, Alumni House, City View Room and State Room. These venues are available for rental any day of the week between 7:00am-12:00am (excluding some holidays).
- All reservation timeframes should take into account the time required for rehearsal, client set-up/break down, catering arrival and cleanup, etc.
- Events & Venues reserves the right to place events in specific rooms based on the planned activity and how the space will be used.
- Should reserved space not be returned in the manner in which it was received (i.e. the room should be in its original state, without damage and/or additional materials such as decorations, extreme amounts of papers, etc.), a housekeeping surcharge may apply.
- For all events where attendance will be controlled through ticketing or registration, the group needs to work with University Ticketing. University Ticketing can be contacted at 202-994-6800 or email@example.com.
- The client shall only use the licensed space for the event, during the date and time period specified. Client agrees that Licensed Space is sufficient for its purposes. Client acknowledges and agrees that representatives of the GW venue shall have unrestricted access to the Licensed Space at all times.
- The Event Order Confirmation includes a list of the equipment and furnishings GW venue will provide for the event. Client shall return all such items at the end of the event in the same condition as it received them. Client shall not make any alterations to the furnishings, equipment or licensed space. Client assumes all risks of loss or damage to the furnishings, equipment, or licensed space from any cause during the event. Any additional costs associated with equipment and furnishings, such as excessive cleaning costs, will be added to the Confirmation Report.
- The Client shall not be entitled to store items of personal property within the licensed space unless an exception is applied for in writing and granted by the GW venue in writing. If Client is permitted to store items, GW venue shall not be liable for loss of or damage to such stored items. The GW venue shall have no liability for any loss or damage to any personal property of the client or any attendee at the event.
- The client shall not assign, sublease or transfer any interest in the agreement or allow others to use the licensed space and/or equipment provided by the GW venue without GW venue’s express written approval.
- The client’s deposit, if any, shall be credited against the liquidated damage amount. All monies in excess that may have been paid through a deposit will be refunded.
- In compliance with the “Smoke-Free GW” policy, smoking is not permitted within any university owned and managed buildings as well as on university owned outdoor spaces. This includes any public space that abuts buildings in the Foggy Bottom campus that are used for academic, athletic, recreational, residential, and administrative purposes.
- The client must obtain the university’s advance written approval for client to decorate the licensed space in any manner whatsoever. Client may not pin, tape or otherwise affix items to curtains, walls or set pieces. Candles and any other sources of open flame or heat are strictly prohibited without written permission. Confetti, glitter, sand, and similar materials are also prohibited. Client shall not erect any signs inside or outside the licensed space, except that one (1) sign may be placed outside of the licensed space and one (1) sign may be placed at the registration tables for the event if the registration is not inside the licensed space. If client wishes to display any additional signage, client must receive express written approval from the university.
- The client shall not use any non-university service providers for the event without first receiving the university’s written approval.
- The university may photograph the event for use by the university in university sponsored media and communications.
- If the client is utilizing space in the Marvin Center, client must use the University’s exclusive caterer. If client is utilizing the MPA Building (Lower Level Lobby, Art Gallery Lobby), 1957 E St. NW (City View Room, State Room, Lobby) 1918 F St. NW (Alumni House) or outdoor space (University Yard, Kogan Plaza, Mid Campus Quad, Square 80, Anniversary Park or G Street Park), the client may use an alternative contractor for catering services subject to the GW venue’s prior written approval. The client must provide a copy of the executed food/beverage/catering contract to the GW venue prior to the event date, along with a copy of the outside contractor’s business license and certificate of liability insurance. Regardless of the selected venue, additional fees may be assessed for catered events depending on the quantity and type of food ordered. The time needed for catering set-up and breakdown must fall within the event time.
- If an external organization is hosted by a GW Department or Student Organization, the event should be related to the mission of the department or organization. The department or organization is choosing to host the event in accordance with the role(s) they have within their department. Responsibility for the event accrues to the department or organization as well as the external client.
- All Events & Venues venues:
- Contact the Event Planner assigned to your event to request or change event set-up and/or audiovisual elements.
- Requests or changes to space, date or time to any reservation need to be submitted to the Event & Venus Scheduling department at least three business days prior to the event; otherwise, there is no guarantee the request can be accommodated.
- The item rental charge will be doubled for requests that are received and honored with less than three business days’ notice.
- In the event the Client cancels the Event, the Client agrees to pay, as liquidated damages and not as a penalty, a fee based on the total cost of the Event. The amount due shall be based on the following schedule:
|Notification of cancellation
prior to Event start date
|Cancellation fee % of
total cost of Event